FROM THE PRINCIPAL
March 20, 2020
Dear EPA Parents and Guardians:
In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, and in efforts to reduce the spread of the virus in order to protect our community and beyond, the State of Florida as well as other states around the country has made the decision to close school to students through at least April 15, 2020. This decision was made out of an abundance of caution and as a preventative measure to limit the spread of illness in our community. We want to assure you that we are working diligently to ensure that we have the resources available to support our students and employees through these challenging times.
Distance Learning (E-Learning)
We have put in place an E-Learning plan in order to continue instruction during this period of time. Although our students are already being educated via these online platforms, our official distance learning start date is Monday, March 30, 2020. Our students will be able to receive state standards based instruction from our teachers via the Apex Learning Solutions, Reading Plus, and USA Test Prep platforms. All EPA students have an account with Apex, and have courses assigned to them. Students can begin/continue working on their Apex courses immediately, and can continue to work at any point throughout a day. If your child needs an assignment unlocked, please encourage him/her to email their teacher within the Apex platform.
At Everglades Preparatory Academy, one of our goals is to ensure our staff is always providing our students with the highest educational opportunities available. With that being said, all of our administrators and teachers participated in a Apex National Distance Learning Webinar on Thursday, March 19, 2020 to ensure we are up to date with the current trends in distance learning. As a result of the training, our teachers will prepare Study Guides for each student, to ensure the students are properly prepared to be successful during our transition away from campus. Each student will receive a binder with a study guide for each course he/she is taking in Apex.
To ensure our students are receiving the individualized attention that most students require to be successful, each student at EPA has been assigned a mentor. Our mentors are in constant contact with their mentees to ensure the students are being successful both in and out of the classroom. Each mentor has also polled their mentees to see which students require technology assistance during the time we’re away from school. Students who have communicated that they need technology equipment at home will be provided resources beginning Tuesday, March 31, 2020. The contact person for technology equipment is each student’s mentor.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at (561) 985-0379. Thank you for your support and understanding.
Linda Johnson-Earsley, Principal
Everglades Preparatory Academy, Class of 2019
Bobby found his successful path from EPA –>
Glades Construction Academy at West Tech –>
Summer Internship –>
- Everglades Preparatory Academy is a Dropout Prevention, Alternative High School serving 8th -12th grade students from Belle Glade, South Bay, Pahokee, Canal Point and surrounding communities.
- Since 2012, our school has successfully graduated over 262 students. Currently, our student enrollment is 106. The school team consists of (3) Administrators, (6) Instructional staff, (1) Behavioral Intervention Associate and (1) Bus Driver.
EPA’s 2019 graduation rate increased by 4% compared to 2017 graduation rate and by 25% compared to 2018 graduation rate.
- In 2019(18%)/ 2018(34%) –Graduates are employed
- In 2019(44%)/ 2018 (26%) -Graduates enrolled in College
- 2019 (9%)/ 2018 (2%) – Graduates enlist in the Armed Services
- 2019(2%)/ 2018(10%) – Graduates attend a Technical/ Vocational school
- On August 2018 (7) seven students participated in Glades Construction Academy at West Tech and two students were selected for a summer internship with the Department of Facilities Services – School District of Palm Beach County.
- On August 2018 (8)eight students were Dual Enrolled at Palm Beach State Cosmetology and Barbering program; student’s courses were creditable toward a career and technical certificate or an associate or baccalaureate degree.
- Palm Beach County School District renewed EPA’s Charter for (10) years from 2017-2027.
- June 2017 Everglades Preparatory Academy received its Accreditation and the benefits that it provides to our learning communities, stakeholders, and society, to ensure that a high level of quality is maintained and that our school, faculty, and students remain ahead in the areas of education, technology, and innovative best practices from June 30, 2017-June 30, 2022.
- Since 2002 EPA has serviced over: 1470 (+) students.
- Since 2010 over 550 students have participated in Anquan Boldin Foundation and Florida Crystals Summer Camp.
- EPA Charter was amended and approved by PBCSD on November 27, 2018 to enroll “overaged” 8th grade students. These students might have been held back one or more times, or may have been out of school for a long time. Last year, 24 “overaged” 8th grade students were promoted to the 9th grade, earned high school credits and several students passed state exams.
State School Rating: “MAINTAINING”